I was watching a smoker today, and a few things hit me, that I think we as small business owners could learn from. So here goes, the top 5 things small business owners can learn from a SMOKER:
- Smokers are FEARLESS. I live in Denver, and as you can imagine, it can get really cold. Today, in fact, is extremely cold! About 12 degrees, and tonight is going to be worse. Anyway, I was driving through an industrial area, and I noticed an older gentleman outside smoking. Did I mention how cold it is? And he did not look like he was dressed for the cold snap. They always take their smoke-break, without fail, no matter how cold it gets. They are FEARLESS.
- Smokers are CONSISTANT. You don’t have to remind them to smoke their little cancer sticks. It is like clock work. Some smoke more than others, but they are as consistent as a Timex watch. Can you even imagine them forgetting. If we were HALF as consistent as them, boy would we get some stuff done.
- Smokers are DETERMINED. Ever try talking a smoker into quitting? Right! How far did you get? No way are you going to convince them about anything other than having another puff. We need to be just as determined. All the Nay-sayers can go keep yapp’in all they want. Just keep moving forward.
- Smokers STICK TOGETHER. Rarely have I seen a smoker by himself. They usually travel in packs, all huddled around, trying to stay warm. Small business owners should stick together too. Unfortunately they are usually loners. We don’t like to take advice or listen to others, so we have a tendancy to just plod along by ourselves. It is good to get other’s advice and feedback, and just learn from other business owners…even if they are in a different industry. Don’t stand ALONE.
- Smokers are FOCUSED. It doesn’t matter what is going on. What they are doing. Where they are. Smokers are going to smoke. I don’t care if they are swimming in a pool, riding their bike, walking the neighborhood, sitting in the dentist chair (well, maybe not), they are going to smoke. I’ve even seen guys driving a motorcycle at 50 mph with a cigarette in their mouth. Wow, if we could be so focused? Know your business. Talk about your business. Know your competition…no matter where you are, or what you are doing. It’s 24-7 baby. Focus.
So that’s it. That is what we can learn. Hopefully you can laugh with me on this, and not take it too serious. Dispite my lack of tact on this one, I hope you got a few important learning points.