If you are reading this post, than most likely you have listened to our podcast. If you listen to our podcast, there is a good chance that you listen to other podcasts. That if fantastic. BUT, are you able to connect the material you are hearing to your small business? It’s great that there is so much good content out there, but if you don’t take action on it, it will never help you grow your small business.
If you listen to as many podcasts as I do, you may have some of the same problems that I have. Every time I listen to a podcast, I think, WOW, that is a great idea. I should do that. It can be a small thing, or it can be a big scary thing. I’ve gotten business ideas, marketing ideas, and book ideas from listening to so many podcasts. But the problem I have found is that I am usually listening to these shows while I am doing other tasks. I could be running on the treadmill, driving the car, or mowing my grass. What do you do when I good idea comes up so you don’t lose it forever? I am going to give you 5 ways in which to take action. Action is huge, because without action, ideas are worthless. Just an idea.
Five ways to take action from a podcast:
- Cary a small notebook. I find that big things don’t tend to travel with me well. I suggest getting a small Moleskin notebook that can fit in your back pocket, and always be with you. ONLY write ideas in this book. Then, once a month go through it, highlight things you need to take action on, and cross out things that are no longer valid.
- MeMail. Great little app for your phone. Once you set it up, it is very easy to jot a note (I usually use voice to text) and hit send. It goes only to one email…yours! Quick and easy, and you will never lose it, because it goes to your inbox.
- Limit the content. Make a list of things you want to action. Maybe it is FIVE things. Once you have FIVE things on a list, do not listen to another podcast! That’s right. You heard me. Once you cross something off the list, you are free to listen again. The podcasts will still be there, waiting…they don’t go anywhere. This will help focus you on things that you really want to take action on.
- Limit the podcasts. If I’m honest, I don’t LOVE all the podcasts on my list. I do listen to different podcasts for different reasons, but why subscribe to podcasts you don’t like. If I don’t like several episodes in a row, I delete them off my phone. Try limiting yours to 5: one for each day of the week.
- Listen at your desk. If you can’t focus on listening when you are doing other things, try listening only on your computer. Contrary to popular opinion, multi-tasking is NOT a good thing. Focus on one thing, and you will do each thing better.
So I have to come clean. I am not fantastic at this. The reason I wrote this blog was that I am having problems with idea overload. I feel like I have this basket, and I keep trying to stuff things in it, but things just keep falling on the floor. Hopefully, I have inspired you to take better action on things you are hearing so you can grow your small business. If you have an idea or something that has helped you not get podcast idea overload, please share in the comment area below.